Gamal Lamie , PhD,
Date of birth: 14 January 1948
Helwan University in Cairo
12, Ismail Mohamed st – Zamalek – Cairo – Egypt
Curriculum Vitae 2016
- Ph.D. Helwan University, 1981.
- New York University, USA: one year study, 1980-1981.
- M.A. at Helwan University, 1974.
- Academy of Arts Diploma 1975.
- Bachelor of Art, Helwan University, Cairo Egypt, 1969.
- Professor. Faculty of Art Education, Helwan University.
- Full time Professor, Department of Performing and Visual Arts, American University in Cairo, 2005 – 2011.
- Part time at PVA, 2003-2005.
- Head of painting Department, Faculty of Art Education, Helwan University, 1992-1998 and from 2001-2005.
- Sabbatical year, Copenhagen University, Denmark, 2000-2001.
- Visiting Professor, Aarhus University and Copenhagen University, Denmark, 1991-1992.
- Professor of painting and drawing, Helwan University, Cairo, 1991.
- Professor associate, 1986-1991.
- Instructor and researcher, 1977.
- Instructor assistant, 1976
- Assistant from 1969.
- Teaching courses in painting, seminars, evaluation of Art and Culture in the 20th century, Postmodern Art, History of modern art and its relation to Ancient Art for graduate and under-graduate students
- Courses in: Painting and drawing, Mixed Media, Colored Glass, making Children books and Mosaics
- Supervisor of MA and PhD.
International workshops and universities collaboration:
Exchange program with Briemen University, Germany, 2014
Düsseldorf, University for Art and Design, 2010
Copenhagen, Art Academy, Summer 2009
Munster University of Applied Art, Germany, 2004.
Tunis, Gabes University, Tunisia, 2004.
San Jose University, California, USA, 2002.
Copenhagen University, Denmark, 2000-2001.
Narruto University, Osaka, Japan, 1998.
Publications in the field of Art, Art Education, Art Criticism and Museum Education:
- The 6th International Conference , Faculty of Art Education, Helwan University, Art Education in Africa as an Approach for Development, April 2016.
- Amsia International Conference 6 October University, Visual Art’s and Culture Deluge in Disturbed World, April 2016
- The Vth International Conference, Faculty of Art Education, Helwan University, The role of Art in sustainable human development, April 2014.
- The German Egyptian collaboration in educational development, the role of visual arts as a cultural tool, Goethe Institute, May 2014.
- The VIth International Conference, Minya University, Art programs and its role in the dialogue among civilizations, December 2010.
- The National Center for Arts, Conference (Art and Society), Mural Art (Graffiti Art as a language of expression), Minister of Culture, Mahmoud Mokhtar Museum, Cairo, 2007.
- Coptic Museum as Educational and Cultural Center, Proposal presented to the Higher Council of Archeology, Ministry of Culture, January 2007.
- Proposal for Developing an Art Course, Bremen University, Germany, 2007-2008.
- Collaboration project, “Beyond Identity”, Bremen University, Goethe Institute in Cairo and Helwan University, DAAD grant, November 2007.
- International Symposium of the Artist Book, Biennial Alexandria Library, April 2006.
- The 23rd Alexandria Biennial for the Mediterranean countries, “The Influence of the Biennial on Art and Art Education, Alexandria University and the Fine Art Sector, Ministry of Culture, February 2006.
- Conference, “Contemporary Egyptian Painting in the 20th Century”, the Higher Council for Culture, November 2006.
- International Conference for Arts and Crafts, Developing a program in Teaching Art and Traditional Crafts in Tunisia, Gabes University, Tunisia, 2005-2006.
- The International Conference for Arts and Crafts, “Calligraphy in Modern Art”, Gabes University, Tunisia, April 2004.
- Collaborated Research Project to develop a Graduate Art Curriculum, Helwan University, “TEMPUS”, Applied Art University, Munster, Germany and Helwan University, granted by the European Union, 2003-2004.
- Developing a program in Museum Education in Egypt, an exchange professor research project, San Jose University, California and Helwan University, Fulbright grant, 2001-2002.
- Comparative Study of Scandinavian Art Education and its Role in the University, Sabbatical year at Copenhagen University, Denmark, presented to Helwan University, 2000-2001.
- City Space an Art Project in Copenhagen, Report presented to Helwan University, Sabbatical year study, Field Research work, presented to Helwan University, 2001.
- Ramses Wisa Wasef School of Art, Tapestries and the Continuity of the Heritage, the Third Conference for Coptic Heritage, , El Ahram Foundation, Cairo, 2000.
- Developing Teaching Methods of Art Education in the Egyptian Public Schools , Ministry of Education, Cairo, 1999.
- Open Forum, “Children’s Book Experts: The Artist and Children Books”, the Highest Supreme Council for Culture, Cairo, May 1999.
- “The Characteristics of Coptic Art as a Popular Heritage”, The First Conference for Coptic Heritage, at Al-Ahram Foundation, Cairo, February 1999.
- Heritage and Multiculturalism in Postmodern Art, International Conference for Art Education in the Arab World, Arab League, Cairo, February 1998.
- Art and Globalization, International Forum, Cairo Biennial, Ministry of Culture, 1996.
- Identity, Creativity and Future Challenges, International Criticism Association (ICA), Cairo, 1995.
- Art Education Conference, “Environmental Aesthetics as an Approach to Develop Art Programs in the University, Helwan University, 1994.
- “The Role of Artistic Heritage and Creative Process in the Art of Van Gogh”, Helwan University Journal “Science and Arts”, Helwan University, 1992.
- International Conference for Art Education, INSEA, “Creative Process in the Ancient Egyptian Drawings and Painting, Paris, 1989.
- Environmental influences on the Fantasy Shapes in Ancient Egyptian Art, Art Education Conference, “Identity issues”, Helwan University, 1988.
- “The Museum of Art as a Cultural and Educational Organization, its Role in Inspiring the Artist and Scholars”, 3rd Scientific Conference, Faculty of Fine Arts, El Minia University, 1987.
- “The Modernization Theory of Arts as an Approach to Create an Egyptian Contemporary School of Art”, Research Studies, Helwan University, Vol.7 No.2, March 1984.
- The experimental Art Education in Egypt, an Approach to enrich Basic Education, Helwan University and Ministry of Education, Helwan University, Cairo,1981.
Supervision of thesis and dissertations
Doctorate Degree completed:
- Shady El Noshokaty, Media Art and Contemporary Egyptian Art, 2007.
- Ahmad Imam, Small works in Contemporary Egyptian Art as a Creative Process, 2004.
- Hani Louis, Contemporary Painting in the Mediterranean Region and Cultural Identity, 2003.
- Inas Ezzat, Persian Manuscript as a Resource for Creating Children Books, 2003.
- Hany al Sonbaty, Digital Art and Mural Paintings, 2002.
- Nashwa Naim, Coptic Murals in the Egyptian Monasteries, 2002.
- Rose Zaki, Multiculturalism and Postmodern Art, 1999.
- Maha George, Narrative Art in Contemporary African Art, 1999.
- Khaled Mekkawi, Assemblage in Contemporary Art, 1997.
- Hossam Saqr, Environmental Art, 1997.
- Ashraf el Eweily, Prehistoric Art and Modern Art, 1996.
- Esmat Abaza, Symbolism in Contemporary Egyptian Art and its Relation to the Heritage, 1992.
Master Degree completed:
- Hend el Qolaly, Narrative concepts and its expressive dimensions in contemporary paintings, 2014.
- Ahmad Shehab, The heritage of Bahrain as an approach to enrich contemporary art, 2014.
- Sandy Kamel, The Artistic Image of Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphics, 2007.
- Ma Riham al Saadani, Performance Art, 2004.
- Samy Abul Azm, Realism trends and Postmodern Art, 2003.
- Walaa Qasim, The Influence of Ancient Egyptian Paintings on Aegean murals, 2003.
- Amira al Handoum, The Art of Aboriginals as a resource of inspiration, 2003.
- Doaa Mursi, Japanese Screen Paintings and its Influence on Modern Art, 2003.
- Khaled al Domeri, Creative Activities in Museum Education Programs at the Egyptian Museum of Modern Art, 2003.
- Dalia Abdel Fattah, Alexandria School of Mural Paintings, 2002.
- Youssef Ragheb, Comics strips in Art as an Approach to Enrich Contemporary Art Educaiton, 2001.
- Elham Jan, Cultural and Environmental Influences on Women Art in Saudi Arabia, 2001.
- Mohamad Taman, Digital Art and its Application in Postmodernism, 2001.
- Rasha Kamal, Museum Education Programs for Children in the Egyptian Museum, 2000.
- Abir el Hussany, Cultural Diversity and its Influence in Port-Said city architecture as a resource for inspiration, 2000.
- Nashwa Naim, The Greek-Roman Art ( Fayum Portraits), 1999.
- Hani Louis, Early Mural Painting in Egypt (Bagwat-Kharga Oasis), 1998.
- Maha George, Literature as an Inspiration Resource in the field of Visual Arts, 1997.
- Hanaa Harraz, Ancient Egyptian Painting in the New Kingdom (the Artist Tombs), 1995.
- Ashraf el Eweily, The Resources of Contemporary Egyptian Art in Folk Art, 1991.
- Produced works of Art in painting, drawings and installations inspired from human heritage. The major concepts of the artworks are to emphasize the importance of culture diversity as a resource of inspiration and using Art as a common language of communication and expression to create a dialogue among civilizations.
One Man Show:
Produced works of Art in painting, drawings and installations inspired from human heritage. The major concepts of the artworks are to emphasize the importance of culture diversity as a resource of inspiration and using Art as a common language of communication and expression to create a dialogue among civilizations.
- The Egyptian Center for International Cultural Cooperation, Cairo 1976.
- The International Center for Art Education, Paris 1976.
- The Oriental Art Gallery, Athens, 1977.
- The French Cultural Center Gallery, Cairo 1978.
- German Cultural Institute, 1979.
- Meridien Art Gallery, Cairo, 1979.
- The Art Society of the International Monetary Fund, Washington, D.C. 1979, Peace Treaty.
- Bodley II Art Gallery New York, 1980.
- The American Cultural Center, Cairo, 1980-1981.
- The Italian Cultural Center, Cairo 1983.
- Arabesque Art Gallery, Cairo, 1985.
- Helwan University Art Gallery, 1986.
- El Iwan Gallery, Kuwait, 1989.
- The Opera House Art Gallery, 1990.
- Gallery 68, Copenhagen, 1991-1992.
- National Institute of Health Art Gallery, Washington D.C. USA, 1993.
- Ristiinassa Gallery, Finland, 1994.
- Dix Gallery, Helsinki, Finland, 1994.
- Tarm Bank Art Gallery, Denmark, 1996.
- Naruto University, Art Gallery, Osaka, Japan, 1998.
- San Jose University Art Gallery California USA 2002.
- Academy Frnz Hitze Haus Art Gallery, Munster, Germany, 2004.
- International Cultural Center, CAISA, Helsinki, 2005-2006.
- Gallery 68, Copenhagen, 2008
- The Musueum of Coptic Art, 2010
- Gallery Art Lunge,Cairo , 2016
Selected Group Shows:
- International Exhibition for Youth Arts, Berlin, 1973.
- Worldwide Art Gallery, Copenhagen, 1977.
- Cible 23 Art Gallery, Paris, 1978.
- Novson Art Gallery, New York, 1980.
- New York Biennial the 7th, New York, 1981.
- Salon de Paris, Paris, 1981.
- United Nations, New York, 1982.
- General Exhibition for fine Arts, Cairo, 1970-2007.
- International Art Gallery 68, Copenhagen, 1991-2007.
- Virginia Art Gallery, USA, 1993.
- Iwan Gallery, Kuwait, 1993.
- Cairo Salon for Small Works 1995-2006.
- The National Exhibition, Palace of Arts, Cairo, 2007.
- The Heritage Group, El Ahram Foundation, 2007.
- Falaki Gallery, AUC, 2007.
- Osaka Art Center, Japan, 2007.
- Al Mashrabia Gallery, Giza, 2007.
- Museum of Modern Art, Cairo, 2008.
- Biennial Havana, Cuba, 2008.
- Mukhtar Musuem, Cairo, 2008.
- American University Cairo, Art Gallery, 2008.
- XXVth Jubilee International festival Sarajevo Winter 2009
- Egyptian artists fulbrighters in the United States, Museum of Egyptian Modern Art, Cairo, 14-19 November 2009.
- Creativity Center, Alexandria, 17-26 May 2009
- Bibliotheca Alexandria, 2-28 February 2009.
- Zamalek Art gallery, Cairo, May 18th 2009
- Sharjah Art gallery, New Cairo, 11-22 October 2009
- Cairo New International, Airport, February 2009
- Bibliotheca Alexandria, Mediterranean Art, 2010
- Cairo Salon for Drawing, Guezira Center, Cairo, 2010
- International Culture Exhibition in Germany, Bokhom, 2010
- Cairo Palace of Art, Ministry of Culture, 2013.
Workshops and International collaboration with Universities
- Workshop in collaboration with the Dutch Institute for Art Education programs, Faculty of Art Education 1994.
- Workshop in collaboration with Berlin University, 1996.
- Workshop in collaboration with Naruto University, Japan 1997.
- Workshop in collaboration with the International Association for Education through Art, Japan, 1998.
- Workshop with the Academy of Munster, Germany, 1999.
- Workshop Copenhagen Art Academy, 2008.
- Workshop with Düsseldorf, University of Art and Design, organized by DAAD, 2010.
Academic Enterprise and Community Service
- Collaboration with different Academies & Art Education organizations, by working together in workshops seminars or common research work. From Holland, USA, Germany, Japan, France and Tunisia.
- Training for Art professionals and scholars from different Arab countries.
- Consultant for the Ministry of Culture in general exhibitions as Commissioner for national and international exhibitions.
- Consultant for the Ministries of Education and Higher Education in developing Art curriculum.
- Participate as a Consultant of the National Egyptian Museums for developing programs of Museum education.
- Creating new policies for national museums as Cultural and Educational Centers.
Membership of Professional Organizations
- Board member of the Higher Council of the Egyptian Universities, Art and Art Education sector, 2003 till now.
- Board member of the Coptic Museum in Cairo, 1997 till now.
- Member of the International Association for Education through Art INSEA.
- Member of the Syndicate of Plastic Arts, Cairo.
- Member of the Association of Criticism and Art Appreciation.
- Member of the Egyptian Association for Education through Art.
The Egyptian Japanese Association for Children’s Art.
Recognition, Research Grants and Merit Awards
- Helwan University Appreciation Award For the Arts 2016.
- Alexandria Bibliotheca, General Commissioner of the Second International Biennale, grant, 2006 and 2007.
- Ministry of Culture, International commissioner for Egyptian contemporary Art exhibition in Finland, 2005/2006.
- DAAD, Exchange program with Munster University, grant for research and travel, 2003.
- Fulbright Foundation, Exchange Professor Program: grant for research and travel, 2001-2002.
- Japanese Cultural Foundation, Osaka, grant for travel and exhibit, 1998.
- Helwan University Art collection, 1992.
- Reader’s Digest collection, New York, 1989.
- U.N.I.C.E.F., New York, 1988.
- The Ministries of Higher Education, Health and Culture, Cairo, 1987.
- The Museum of Modern Art, Cairo, 1982/1985.
- United Nations, New York, 1978/1979.
- The Egyptian Embassy, Washington, D.C., 1979/1980.
- International Organization for Education through Art, Paris, 1976.
- The International Gallery for Arts, Berlin, 1973.
- A documentary film, Art & Life of Gamal Lamie, Nile Cultural Channel, Egyptian TV, text and dialogue written by the Artist, broadcasted November 2007.
- A documentary film by San Jose University, Concepts and Ideas in the work of Gamal Lamie, 2001.
- Private collection in Egypt, USA, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, France, Kuwait, Italy, Finland and Germany.